My First Slam Poem 

Today I began to write down my personal experiences regarding how people perceive me.

From the beginning of university I have found that many people have told me I am loud and brash at times.

I began to wonder why people thought this; was I too loud, too sarcastic? I slowly came to the realisation that not all people who study drama are extroverts, and maybe I should learn when to keep my mouth shut.

This brought me onto the medias depiction of aggression, in particular woman. Many articles followed the same idea that Girls from ‘broken homes’ are in fact more likely to become aggressive. This explained a lot. I myself am from a broken home, and was brought up by a single parent, however my mother was never violent, always fair and understanding of other peoples circumstances.

So here it is, the first piece of slam poetry I have ever written;

“I was raised by my mother and yes she knew that for me to stand my ground she’d be there for me too,

She’s got bigger balls than any guy I’ve ever met so before you start preaching just let her get

her point across she’ll tell you how its hard,

raising a kid to be safe and secure with no man around to hold the door.

She deserves the upmost respect and she’s raised me to speak my mind,

never getting violent and always being kind,

so todays the day I’ll let her know those words stuck with me and I’ll never let them go.”

Will this be used my performance? I’m unsure at the moment. With the tech being hard to achieve, and my initial ideas coming back into the picture i need to decide what direction i want the performance to go.